One thing that you may consider when thinking of your breakfast the next morning is the time spent and the ease of preparation. This is because you must have some things to do after taking your first meal of the day. New York-style bagels can be the perfect breakfast for a person like you who will be needing extra energy for the whole day ahead.
New York-Style Bagel
- Total Time: 40 minutes +1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
Don’t get intimidated by the number of procedures that you can see below. They are very easy to do so you can come up with a delicious breakfast for the day. New York-style bagel is a favorite of many because it can be partnered with anything from coffee, tea, or milk and with any spread like jam, butter, and lox. A side dish? Make it egg and cheese, or avocado and bacon. For sure, it will not only satisfy your taste buds but your gut as well.
2 tsp. or 6 g of active dry yeast
4 ½ tsp. or 19 g of granulated sugar
1 ¼ cups or 300 ml of warm water (you may need ± ¼ cup /60 ml more)
3 ½ cups or 440 g of bread flour or high gluten flour (you may need up to 1/2 cup / 60g for kneading)
1 ½ tsp. or 6 g of salt
Butter, peanut butter, jam, cream cheese, sliced cheese….anything you like
- Pour in the sugar and yeast in ½ cup /120ml of the warm water. Do not stir. After 5 minutes, stir the yeast and sugar mixture until it all dissolves in the water.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt and make a well in the middle. Pour in the yeast and sugar mixture into the well.
- Pour 1/3 cup / 80ml of warm water into the well and mix. Stir in the rest of the water as needed. You may need to add an additional couple tablespoons to about ¼ cup/60ml of water, depending on where you live. You want a moist and firm dough after you have mixed it.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic on a floured countertop until you have a firm and stiff dough.
- Turn the dough to coat in a lightly brushed large bowl with oil. Using a damp dishtowel, cover the bowl. Leave it for 1 hour to rise or until it has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and leave for additional 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces using a scale for even weight. Shape each piece into balls. Now, take a dough ball, and press it gently against the countertop, moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion, pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until the perfect dough ball forms. Do the same with the other 7 dough balls.
- Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place it on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Do the same with the remaining dough balls.
- After making the bagels out of the dough balls, place them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it may take a couple of seconds for them to float to the top. Let them sit there for 1 minute, and then flip them over to boil for another minute. Extend the boiling times to 2 minutes each, if you’d prefer a chewier bagel.
- If you want to add toppings to your bagels, do so as you take them out of the water. Using an egg wash can get the toppings to stick before baking the bagels. Use just one topping, or a combination if you want to.
- Once all the bagels have boiled and have been topped with your choice of toppings, transfer them to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown, or for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- If you have a topping in mind you can have it. But you can take a look at these toppings suggestions: caraway seeds, cinnamon sugar, coarse salt, minced fresh garlic, minced fresh onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or a mix of your favorite flavors.
- Try an electric dough mixer to keep your arms from getting sore.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
While you have many toppings options, you can also have many ways to consume this delicious breakfast. Bagel with cream cheese? Bagel with butter? Bagel with jam? Bagel with avocado? Bagel with egg and cheese?
Indeed, you have many ways to enjoy your New York-style bagel.