Fresh Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Another Italian food that has gone global, aside of course, from pasta and pizza, is the Bruschetta. It is now a common appetizer or snack with many variations in different countries. Some refer to Bruschetta as the toppings on the grilled bread because of some marketers of packaged toppings. However, Bruschetta, which has been served in Italy since the 15th century, is the grilled bread and toppings.
In this variation of this famous snack, we made it as straightforward as possible. Within under an hour, you can have a delicious and refreshing snack for your whole family. Partner it with some cold fruit juice and you have a healthy and filling snack that can energize you for the rest of the day.
One adjective that may best describe this snack is refreshing. With all the kinds of foods that we have ingested for the past days, having bruschetta as your snack is a perfect relief from sweets or junk food.
The crunchy toasted bread that is made more flavorful by the fresh taste of garlic with crisp toppings of marinated tomatoes and distinct flavor of basil, bruschetta is indeed a perfect snack for any given day. Try this recipe at home and you will surely have it again and again.
4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup of thinly sliced basil
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 large baguette, sliced ¼” thick on the bias
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
2 cloves garlic, halved
- To make marinated tomatoes: In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic until lightly golden, then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add garlic and oil and combine. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush bread on both sides lightly with oil and place on a large baking sheet. Toast bread until golden or for about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn bread halfway through. Cool bread for 5 minutes, then rub the tops of the bread with halved garlic cloves.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top of bread just before serving.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice. In other variations, beans, cured meat, onion, lettuce, and other vegetables are added. Some may even add mayonnaise aside from the cheese. This snack can really be flexible. You can add any vegetable as you may prefer.
Indeed, you should make it a habit to serve bruschetta to your family, especially if you have young kids. They will discover that vegetables can also make excellent tasting snacks. For sure there will be no problem preparing this snack as most of the ingredients are readily available.
Bruschetta is not only easy to prepare that your kids or guests will love, but it is also healthy and very affordable.