One adjective that may best describe this snack is refreshing. With all the kinds of foods that we have ingested for the past days, having bruschetta as your snack is a perfect relief from sweets or junk food.
The crunchy toasted bread that is made more flavorful by the fresh taste of garlic with crisp toppings of marinated tomatoes and distinct flavor of basil, bruschetta is indeed a perfect snack for any given day. Try this recipe at home and you will surely have it again and again.
4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup of thinly sliced basil
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 large baguette, sliced ¼” thick on the bias
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
2 cloves garlic, halved
- To make marinated tomatoes: In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic until lightly golden, then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add garlic and oil and combine. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush bread on both sides lightly with oil and place on a large baking sheet. Toast bread until golden or for about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn bread halfway through. Cool bread for 5 minutes, then rub the tops of the bread with halved garlic cloves.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top of bread just before serving.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice. In other variations, beans, cured meat, onion, lettuce, and other vegetables are added. Some may even add mayonnaise aside from the cheese. This snack can really be flexible. You can add any vegetable as you may prefer.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes (including marinating)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes