Classic Reuben Sandwich
Wondering what’s good for a snack? Think twice before you start munching on that junk food. Why not make a sandwich? A healthy one! Now, if you love corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut, then you will definitely like the Classic Reuben Sandwich. It might even become your new favorite.
A Reuben Sandwich must be loaded, period. Aside from the corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut, it also comes with the so-called Russian dressing, which is better if you utilize a homemade one. And, of course, this snack recipe requires rye bread. Make sure you use a generous amount of the Russian dressing so that you can adhere the ingredients of this sandwich together.
The Classic Reuben Sandwich is not only good to make on St. Patrick’s Day but all year round. This loaded sandwich only requires a few basic ingredients and you can definitely put it together in minutes.Print
The Classic Reuben Sandwich is made with rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing. It is a sandwich in the most classic sense of sandwiches. The combined flavors of the ingredients are so irresistible!
8 slices of rye bread
4 tablespoons butter (softened)
1/4 cup Russian dressing
8 slices Swiss cheese
3/4 lb. corned beef
1 cup sauerkraut
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread Russian dressing on the other side of each slice.
- Top half of the slices with cheese, followed by corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining slices (with the dressing side down).
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and then place a sandwich in it.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
How to make the Russian dressing:
- Whisk together all the ingredients (mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, sugar, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce) in a small bowl until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using high-quality rye bread will surely add more flavor to your sandwich.
- To prevent your sandwich from getting soggy, drain as much liquid as you can from the sauerkraut.
- If you are not into sauerkraut, you are free to replace it with coleslaw.
- You can sprinkle garlic powder over the butter spread before cooking the sandwich.
- The corned beef can also be replaced with pastrami.
If you plan on serving Reuben Sandwich for lunch or dinner instead of a snack, serve it with potato wedges on the side. That right there will give you a hearty meal.
For the Russian dressing, you have the freedom to utilize store-bought. But if I were you, I prefer using homemade Russian dressing as it will definitely taste better. You can also control the ingredients. It is super easy to make anyways.
This sandwich is simple and easy to make, but it is delicious. It’s the perfect treat for everybody!