The Classic Reuben Sandwich is made with rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing. It is a sandwich in the most classic sense of sandwiches. The combined flavors of the ingredients are so irresistible!
8 slices of rye bread
4 tablespoons butter (softened)
1/4 cup Russian dressing
8 slices Swiss cheese
3/4 lb. corned beef
1 cup sauerkraut
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread Russian dressing on the other side of each slice.
- Top half of the slices with cheese, followed by corned beef and sauerkraut.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining slices (with the dressing side down).
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and then place a sandwich in it.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
How to make the Russian dressing:
- Whisk together all the ingredients (mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, sugar, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce) in a small bowl until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using high-quality rye bread will surely add more flavor to your sandwich.
- To prevent your sandwich from getting soggy, drain as much liquid as you can from the sauerkraut.
- If you are not into sauerkraut, you are free to replace it with coleslaw.
- You can sprinkle garlic powder over the butter spread before cooking the sandwich.
- The corned beef can also be replaced with pastrami.