Slow Cooker Beef Stew: A hearty, comforting meal that cooks while you’re away
When the weather gets colder, nothing beats a warm and hearty meal like beef stew. But who has time to spend hours cooking on the stove? With this slow cooker beef stew recipe, you can enjoy all the delicious flavors and comforting goodness of a classic beef stew, without spending all day in the kitchen. Plus, it’s perfect for busy families or those who are always on the go. Just throw all the ingredients into a slow cooker and let it work its magic while you’re away!
This slow cooker beef stew recipe is packed with nutritious ingredients that are great for your health. Beef is an excellent source of protein, iron, and vitamin B12, which are essential for energy production, muscle growth, and healthy red blood cells. The vegetables in this recipe, such as carrots, celery, and potatoes, are also rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Plus, slow cooking helps to retain the nutrients in the ingredients, making this stew a healthy and filling meal for the whole family.
Did you know that beef stew has been a popular dish for centuries? In medieval times, it was known as “pottage” and was a staple in most households. The dish was made with whatever ingredients were available, such as beef, vegetables, and grains, and was often cooked in a large cauldron over an open fire. Today, beef stew has evolved into a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed in many different ways.
This slow cooker beef stew recipe is a healthy and wholesome meal that can be customized to suit your dietary preferences. To make it even healthier, you can use lean beef, low-sodium broth, and add more vegetables like kale or mushrooms. You can also omit the potatoes and serve the stew over brown rice or quinoa for a nutrient-packed alternative.
If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, don’t worry. This recipe is very forgiving, and you can easily substitute some of the ingredients with what you have. For example, you can use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, or swap out the beef for chicken or lamb. You can also add different herbs and spices to give the stew a different flavor profile.Print
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- Total Time: 51 minute
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This slow cooker beef stew recipe is a hearty and comforting meal that cooks while you’re away. Packed with tender beef, vegetables, and savory flavors, it’s perfect for a chilly day. Learn about the benefits, interesting facts, and substitutions for this healthy dish. Follow the easy instructions and enjoy this delicious meal in no time!
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a slow cooker, combine the beef, broth, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours, or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with crusty bread or over a bed of rice.
- If you’re short on time, you can brown the beef before adding it to the slow cooker. This will give it a richer flavor and color.
- If you prefer a thicker stew, you can mix 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with a little bit of water and add it to the slow cooker during the last hour of cooking. T
- his stew can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 hours
For more great recipes visit DayToDayRecipes.com every day!
Want to have a recipe published? Simply go to our Contact Page, scroll down and fill out the submission form. We look forward to reading about your favorite dishes!