Key Lime Pie
Key limes may be tiny and simple, but there are many things that you can do with them, not to mention the fact that they are nutritious. This type of citrus fruit is not only beneficial to your health but also to your beauty needs. They are amazing! Small but terrible as they say!
Key limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, which as we all know is very important when it comes to immunity. This vitamin increases the production of white blood cells, protecting your body against infections and diseases. They also contain antioxidants. There are endless benefits of incorporating key limes into your daily diet.
Did you know that you can also make a delicious dessert using key limes? Have you had key lime pie before? It is an excellent dessert that showcases a perfect balance between tart and sweet.Print
Tart, sweet, incredibly easy to make, and, of course, delicious – that’s what this key lime pie is. This dessert starts with a graham cracker crust that is then filled with a creamy filling. It is so irresistible!
1 1/2 c. Graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter (melted)
28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. light sour cream
3/4 c. key lime juice
Zest from 4 key limes
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine Graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a pie pan.
- Bake for about 17 minutes and cool for half an hour.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, sour cream, and lime zest.
- Pour mixture into the prepared Graham crust.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool slightly before chilling.
- Chill for about half an hour.
- Using a mixer, beat together heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Add in vanilla.
- Pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie.
- Top with more lime zest if desired.
- To add the whipped cream topping, you can also simply spread it over the cake. Or if you opt to pipe it, be creative with it.
In a hurry? No worries, you are free to use a store-bought Graham pie crust as well as a can of whipped cream. Either way, your key lime pie would still be adorable and delicious. The secret to this recipe really is the filling so make sure that you measure them accurately and mix them well.
If you are using a homemade pie crust, I highly recommend making a thick one. As for the pie plate, you can use a smaller one if you wish to. Also, do not hesitate to fill the crust to the brim with the creamy filling since it does not expand.
Using key lime zest for this recipe would give you better results. And to make things easier for you, I suggest you utilize a zester.