Do you like Italian cuisine? Maybe you are not aware, but Pomodoro is the base of Italian cooking. What is it? In a nutshell, it is a tomato-based pasta sauce that is usually made with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, onion, and fresh basil. And did you know that the word ‘Pomodoro’ means ‘golden apple’? Why? Because this pasta sauce was originally made with tomatoes that resemble the color (pale yellow) of the local apples…
So, have you had Spaghetti al Pomodoro before? It is a very simple pasta dish, but the combination of the main ingredients is just amazing. This right here would be a perfect weeknight dinner recipe!
To be honest with you, I like my pasta simple. I am not really into elaborate cooking, which is why Spaghetti al Pomodoro is one of my favorite dishes. And when you say P-O-M-O-D-O-R-O, it sounds really fancy for some reason! 🙂 Fancy but so easy to make. It is a weeknight dinner lifesaver, indeed.Print
Spaghetti al Pomodoro
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This recipe is a product of authentic Italian cuisine. In fact, it is the base of Italian cooking. The name sounds fancy but the truth is, it is sooooo easy to make. Spaghetti al Pomodoro is an excellent weeknight dinner recipe!
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
5 garlic cloves (minced)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (28 oz) San Marzano peeled tomatoes (pureed in a blender or food processor)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 c. chopped basil
12 oz. spaghetti
2 tbsp. unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
1/4 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
Extra basil and Parmesan (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and season with salt.
- Continue to cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until it starts to thicken. Once it is thick enough, add the fresh basil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Be sure to reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining the pasta.
- Place the pasta back in the large pot, add the pasta sauce and hot pasta water. Stir well to make sure that the pasta is all coated with the sauce.
- Add butter and Parmesan cheese. Toss until the butter and cheese are melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
- You can serve this pasta dish with a green salad and garlic bread on the side.
- Compliment it with a nice Italian red wine.
- Want to be sure to cook the pasta right? Read this article and get it right every time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
To come up with the best pasta Pomodoro, make sure that you utilize only high-quality ingredients. And let me reiterate that San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes work the best for this pasta dish. Don’t forget to puree the tomatoes in a food processor or blender before you do anything or get started making this pasta dish.