Looking for creamy, dreamy, and comfort food for lunch? Well, there is nothing better than the Classic Mac and Cheese. I’m sure everybody loves this pasta dish, even those super picky kids. This recipe is incredibly easy, too. And you know what would be more exciting? Have your kids participate in making it. They will definitely have a lot of fun helping you out.
So what makes the best homemade mac and cheese? Well, for one, it is very important that you use high-quality ingredients so that you can achieve an excellent outcome. The type of cheddar that you use will certainly make a huge difference. So instead of buying the cheap ones out there, get high-quality aged cheddar cheese. That should give you a stronger taste and smoother texture. The inexpensive ones will only give you an almost grittier taste and you sure don’t want that.
Furthermore, I highly recommend using freshly grated cheese instead of pre-shredded store-bought cheese. The latter does not melt the same way as the former. Another thing that you must remember is to bring the cheese to room temperature. With this, you should grate the cheese first before you move forward with the recipe.Print
Classic Mac and Cheese
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
Bite-size pasta, high-quality cheddar cheese, and a creamy sauce – these are what make this delicious Classic Mac and Cheese. It’s comfort food, indeed. Creamy and dreamy! Adults and kids will surely love it!
About 1 1/2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni (1/2 pounds)
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 c. milk (any kind)
3/4 c. half and half
2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a square baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta al dente following the packaging instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then blend in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and half and half slowly, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir just until melted.
- Add the cooked macaroni pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Add the remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted.
- Serve with your choice of vegetable or side salad.
- Want to be sure to cook the pasta right? Read this article and get it right every time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
It is important that the cheese melts smoothly and evenly in the sauce. You can achieve this by using low heat. Once the cheese has melted. do NOT over-stir it. Quickly assemble it with the pasta in the pan and bake.
Take this Classic Mac and Cheese to the next level by adding extra cheese topping, breadcrumbs, and bacon bits. Using a combination of different cheeses will also make this pasta dish more luxurious.