This dish is perfect for breakfast. You can never underestimate the health benefits that come with zucchinis and the other vegetables involved in this recipe. Along with eggs, ricotta cheese, and bread, the combination is just so awesome!
6 to 8 large eggs
1 c. ricotta cheese
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. hot chili sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 c. grated zucchini (from 2 to 3 fresh zucchinis)
1 1/2 c. chopped plum tomatoes (from 4 to 5 fresh tomatoes)
1/2 c. sliced fresh basil
4 c. cubed day-old bread
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9X13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, and then add the ricotta. Beat until smooth. Add the grated Parmesan cheese, hot chili sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and zucchini to the egg mixture.
- Add the bread cubes.
- Pour the egg vegetable mixture into the prepared pan, even it out, and then put it in the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the casserole has puffed up and browned slightly.
- Remove from oven and let cook on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- For the hot chili sauce, it would be good to use Tabasco.
- Rustic French or Italian bread works best for this recipe.
- When chopping the tomatoes, make sure to squeeze out extra moisture. You can press them in a sieve. You can also wrap them in a paper towel before squeezing.
- Before adding the bread cubes, moisten them with a little bit of water and then squeeze out extra moisture using a paper towel.
- In case the casserole hasn’t browned enough after half an hour in the oven, increase the heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more.