Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup made with miso paste, dashi (a type of broth made with kombu and bonito flakes), and various ingredients such as tofu, green onions, and seaweed. Here is a simple recipe for miso soup that you can try at home:
- 4 cups dashi
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 4 ounces soft tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed, rehydrated and cut into small pieces
- Heat the dashi in a pot over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together a small amount of the hot dashi with the miso paste until smooth.
- Pour the miso mixture back into the pot with the rest of the dashi and stir to combine.
- Add the tofu and seaweed to the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the tofu is heated through.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with the green onions. Enjoy!
- Use a good quality dashi: Dashi is a key ingredient in miso soup, so using a high-quality dashi will really enhance the flavor of the soup. You can make your own dashi by simmering kombu (dried kelp) and bonito flakes (dried, fermented tuna) in water, or you can purchase a premade dashi broth.
- Don’t overboil the soup: Miso paste is made with fermented soybeans, which can become bitter if it is boiled for too long. To preserve the flavor of the miso, be sure to turn off the heat as soon as you add the miso paste to the soup.
- Experiment with different types of miso paste: Miso paste comes in a variety of flavors, from sweet and mild to bold and savory. Experiment with different types of miso paste to find the flavor that you like best.
- Customize the ingredients: Miso soup is very versatile and you can add a variety of ingredients to suit your tastes. Some common additions include tofu, green onions, seaweed, mushrooms, and diced vegetables.
- Serve the soup hot: Miso soup is traditionally served hot, so be sure to heat the soup through before serving. You can also add a few drops of sesame oil to give the soup a nutty flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes