Pavlova is chewy on top, crisp on the edges, and soft and creamy in the center. You can also pile it high with cream and fresh fruits. It is a show-stopper, indeed.
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. cornstarch
1-pint heavy cream
Fresh fruits (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry in a large bowl. Gradually add the sugar (about 1 tablespoon at a time). Beat well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy and then gently fold in vanilla extract, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Spread mixture, working from the center toward the edge. Slightly build the edge, leaving a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for about an hour.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the parchment paper and place meringue on a serving platter.
- Fill the center with whipped cream and then top with your choice of fresh fruits.
- For the fruits, you can utilize kiwi slices, strawberries, pineapple, mango, or a combination of any of these. You can utilize pretty much any fruit that you want.