Looking for a classic Italian dish that is both hearty and delicious? Look no further than this recipe for Eggplant Parmesan! This dish is made with breaded and baked eggplant, and is perfect for any occasion. Learn about the benefits of this food, some interesting facts, and how healthy it is. Plus, discover some possible ingredient substitutions and follow our easy-to-follow cooking instructions. Bon appétit!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into
- 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the breadcrumb mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place the coated eggplant slices onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the eggplant is tender and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, spread a layer of marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of the baked eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and chopped basil.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, making sure to end with a layer of cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let the dish cool for a few minutes before serving.
1. Properly Preparing the Eggplant: Before baking, it’s essential to slice the eggplant evenly and salt the slices to draw out excess moisture. This helps to prevent the eggplant from becoming soggy during baking and ensures a better texture. After salting, rinse the slices and pat them dry to remove excess salt.
2. Breading and Frying: For a crispy crust, coat the eggplant slices in flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs before frying them in a thin layer of oil. Frying the breaded eggplant slices until they’re golden brown on each side will create a crisp exterior that holds up well in the baked dish. Alternatively, you can also bake the breaded slices for a lighter option, but make sure to flip them halfway through for even browning.
3. Layering and Baking: When assembling the baked eggplant parmesan, layer the fried or baked eggplant slices with marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Be mindful of the sauce-to-eggplant ratio to avoid a soggy final dish. Finally, bake the assembled dish in a preheated oven at around 350°F (180°C) until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden brown, typically for 25-35 minutes. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld and the dish to set.
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-50 minutes